With the latest announcement of Magento regarding ending the support for Magento 1 by June 2020, migration to Magento 2 is no longer a choice to be made. It has become mandatory to migrate if you want to keep your online store functional and protected and you need to decide how soon you want to migrate, and sooner the better. However, before you execute this migration, there are some considerations that you need to make and prepare your store for going from Magento 1 to Magento 2 so that you may make the most from migration.
Preparing for Migration
- Data Screening and Filtration You obviously have a lot of data over your website, but not all of it is important and useful. There is no point in taking such irrelevant data over the new platform. Such unrelated data will only lock-up space over the website and affect its functionality. It is better to remove such data in the first instance. So, you need to start by screening out your data, filter what is necessary, and delete what is not required.
- Replicate Your Data You can never be very sure about technology. Despite being sure and careful of everything, risks of data loss are always there. And such data loss can prove to be very harmful to your business. So, keep yourself prevented against this risk by making a copy of your entire database in Magento 1 before you go for migration to Magento 2.
- Freeze Your Activities If you implement your migration while you are running your admin activities, there are chances that there will be some loose ends in the migration and migration will not be implemented as effectively. Ensure that you have stopped all your activities while going through the dry run and migration implementation so that you get the migration done in a smooth manner.
- Create and Stick to a Plan It is important to have an organized migration to the new platform. And for that, you will need a plan. Create a blueprint of what you expect from the migration and how you want it to happen. Along with that, make sure to stick to that blueprint, allowing changes only where they cannot be done away with. Being at what is planned will always produce the best results for you.
- Upgrade Your Site When you are migrating your site, you get a chance to critically look at your site and know where upgrades and improvements are needed. Such upgrades and improvements will also help in better functioning of the site over the new Magento 2 platform encashing the highest benefits of the new platform. So, be sure to keep your website upgraded so that you may take advantage of every opportunity that Magento 2 has to offer you.
A place for big ideas.
Reimagine organizational performance while delivering a delightful experience through optimized operations.