JS7 – Workload Automation Tool
The JS7 is an open-source enterprise solution for Workload Automation. The key functions of JS7 is to launch the shell script, executable files and database procedures automatically. It is a flexible and adaptable automation tool which can be integrated on all Linux and Windows platforms either “On-Premises” or in the “Cloud.”
JS7 consists of three components
- JOC Cockpit
JOC Cockpit provide the Graphical User Interface to manage all the configuration and administration of your environment. Controller is used to manage the agents, deployments, pass an order for the workflow execution and deploy daily plan to the agents. Agents are dedicated to the controller and used to execute the jobs and workflows. Further, all the JS7 components allow the cluster configuration for the high availability. Cluster service instances are synchronized by use of the database to which they send heartbeat and check the availability of each other’s instances. In case of fail-over, one of the remaining instances will perform the fail-over operation.
Meanwhile, JS7 can be implemented to provide high availability and fault tolerance and there are a number of options available for cluster operations.
- Controller Cluster includes the set-up of a Primary JS7 Controller and redundant Backup JS7 Controller.
- JOC COCKPIT/Controller/Agent Resilience includes measures for reconciliation and recovery.
- JOC COCKPIT/Controller/Agent Redundancy includes the use of clustered JS7 JOC COCKPIT, Controller instances, and Agent bundles.
Security Feature of JS7
JS7 provides the below security features for planning, setup, and operation.
- Connection Management: The JS7 provides the secure connection for the JOC Cockpit, Controller, and Agent with the TLS/SSL certificates for the HTTPS mutual authentication.
- Access Management: JOC Cockpit provides in-built account management for the users and secure integration with the LDAP directory services such as Microsoft Active Directory. It also provides the HashiCorp Vault Authentication Server integration with JS7 – Identity Services.
- Deployment Management: The JOC Cockpit installation with high security requires the digital signature for the deployment of workflows and jobs.
- Secure Operation: It provides the management for the default system settings, stores sensitive information such as credentials, and change password, preferably with certificates.
Benefits of JS7
- It provides performance optimization
- Further it reduces IT costs
- Also provides quick start-up functionality
- Along with this, Js7 comes with flexible licensing
- Furthermore, it has a better SLA & reactivity.
AutoSys – Workload Automation Tool
Autosys is an automated job control tool that has the capability of monitoring, scheduling, and reporting for Autosys jobs at enterprise applications. It enhances visibility and control of complex workloads across platforms, ERP systems, and the cloud. The remote Autosys agent is used to communicate with the Autosys servers. It helps to reduce the cost and complexity of managing mission-critical business processes, ensuring consistent and reliable service delivery.
To detect and recover from a failure, you can also configure AutoSys Workload Automation with a second scheduler named as shadow scheduler.
Main Component of Autosys:
- Event server(database)
- Application server
- Web server
Benefits of AutoSys
- Increases productivity of organization
- It provides better reliability & flexibility in minimum cost and time
- AutoSys improves operational efficiency.
Features of AutoSys
- It provide one stop solution for the job management, scheduling and job development life cycle.
- This Automation tool is cloud ready and supports majority of cloud platforms like AWS data pipeline etc.
- It is SDLC scrum friendly and offers unicenter AutoSys service desk.
- AutoSys supports failover server activities during disaster recovery or business continuity process.
- It has powerful Analytics, Visualization, Simulation, Authorization and Automation Capabilities.
Differences Between JS7 and AutoSys
|Definition||JS7 is an open-source workload automation tool.||Whereas, AutoSys is a centralized job management tool.|
|Multiple Platform Support||Controller: Unix, Windows Server;
Universal Agent: All Operating Systems that support a Java VM®.
|Master: Linux, Unix, Windows Server, IBM iSeries, HP NonStop.|
|Open Source||JS7 is an open-source tool Open Source License (GPLv3) and a Commercial License for enterprise customers.
Also, JS7 provides an online demo for 24 hours.
|Whereas, AutoSys require a commercial license for the installation. It provides a real-time view of batch processing.
Also, free demo, documentation, and webinars are available for AutoSys.
|Job||There are two ways in JS7 to define a job:
1. Using the Graphical User Interface (GUI)
2. Using the Job Integrated Template Language (JITL)
|Similarly, Autosys also has two ways to define a job:
1. Using the Graphical User Interface (GUI)
2. Using the Job Information Language (JIL)
|Database Compatibility||For instance, JS7 supports many Databases like:
|Whereas, AutoSys supports Databases like:
5. SQL Server
|Support options||JS7 provides 24/7 technical support, long-term support, Service request support, and migration support for its commercial license users.||Whereas, AutoSys provide email, phone, live- support, and training to its commercial license users.|
|Training||The training facility is available either on-site or online for commercial license users.||Online training or webinars are provided for commercial license users.|
|Low-Code, Drag-and-Drop GUI||JS7 has a low-code functionality, and it provides a Drag-and-Drop GUI. Also, the job scheduling and automation functionalities are GUI-based.||AutoSys has a low code monitoring environment. Further its job scheduling & automation functionalities are code-based.|
|Migration Services||Migration services are available for the automation tools like Control-M, Autosys, etc.||It Supports migration with other automation tool.|
|Support on Cloud||JS7 Supports AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.
JS7 also provides Docker images which can be downloaded from Docker Hub.
|AutoSys also Supports AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud, but it doesn’t provide support for the Docker Platform before AutoSys 12 release.|
|Health Checks||JS7 provides the health check.||Whereas, Autosys does not provide the health check.|
|Guaranteed Service Response Time||Further, JS7 provides a Support Option, with the guarantee response time for commercial license users. e.g., For the Production issue the Response Time is of 1hr only.||Not clearly stated on the Website.|
|Customization of Schedules, Calendars (having user defied dates as calendar frequencies)||JS7, provide schedules and calendars to automate the workflows. For example, if you want to exclude some dates from your calendar, you can use excluded frequencies from the calendar, and also you can use the restriction on the Schedules.||Whereas, AutoSys Provide a scheduling option, e.g., if you want to execute some jobs excluding some holidays, you can use the holiday calendar and put jobs in exclude list of the holiday calendar.|
|Web Services||In JS7, you can perform orders, workflows, and jobs using web services and cancel, suspend, and resume the orders. In addition, PowerShell Module is also available for access to the rest Web Services API.||Whereas, in AutoSys, using web services, you can perform many tasks like retrieving a job status and performing job actions like start, stop, cancel, etc.|
|Jobs Library||JITL template library is available in JS7.||Whereas, AutoSys is mainly code-based, due to that jobs library is not available.|
|Super REST API||JS7 supports full Job API, REST API, and an interface for monitors.||AutoSys offers this feature, but it requires more manual configuration.|
|Language Support||JS7 supports English, French, German, and Japanese in the GUI.||Whereas, Autosys only supports English.|
|Cross-Application Job Assembly||JS7 has this feature.||AutoSys doesn’t have this feature.|
|Scripting Languages||JS7 supports Shell and PowerShell as a scripting language.||Whereas, Autosys supports Job Information Language for scripting.|
|Job/Order Status||Order status available in JS7 includes:
Pending, Scheduled, In Progress, Running, Suspended, Completed, Prompting, Waiting, Blocked, Failed.
|Where the job status available in AutoSys includes:
Starting, Running, Inactive, Activated, Success, Failure, Terminated, Restart, QUE_WAIT, ON HOLD, ON ICE.
|Notifications||In JS7, you can configure Notification of error, warning, failure and success jobs.||Also, in AutoSys, if any job fails then alarm notifications are sent to the respective groups or owners and it needs to take appropriate action.|
To sum up, JS7 and AutoSys are two exceptionally built workload automation tools with multiple functionalities to streamline the workflow. Meanwhile, in the above article, you can see the difference between the JS7 and Autosys offerings. This comparison will help you choose the right workload automation tool for your business.